Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Spiced Chick Peas & Vegetables for Couscous

100_6624

Clockwise from left: cooked chick peas, spring onions, zucchini, red onions, carrots, garlic, store-bought vegetable stock cube

I wrote about a Couscous Paella more than two months back. In my post, I wrote that the Couscous preparation in itself was not tasty enough, so I served the leftovers with a spicy preparation. I also promised then that I'd blog about 'that' preparation soon. I think, I forgot to mention that for me 'soon' can mean anything between two days and two months. :)

Anyway, here's the recipe for that spicy preparation. It is based on one from this German cookbook. Before I start: I have used the vegetables that you can see in the picture above. However, you can use many others in addition to or instead of these. eg. green cabbage, leeks, celery (stems as well as roots), broccoli. I used the ones that I did because I did not want to repeat the vegetables used for Couscous Paella. (Although I ended up repeating carrots. But then, some extra carotene would do no harm, would it? :))

Recipe for Spiced Chick Peas & Vegetables for Couscous

Serves 4. (As an accompaniment to Couscous or rice)

Ingredients:

1 can cooked chick peas (drained weight 240 g.)
2 large zucchini, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup sliced spring onion (white as well as green parts)
1 tsp concentrated tomato paste or 1 small tomato, chopped

1 vegetable stock cube
1-2 cloves of garlic, grated
salt & pepper to taste

2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds

Method:

1. Prepare vegetable stock using the cube and according to the instructions on the package.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Sauté the diced onion in it for about two minutes.
3. Add all vegetables apart from tomato pieces/paste. Sauté them for about 5 minutes. Then add tomato pieces/paste.
4. After a few seconds, add the prepared vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Add cumin seeds, grated garlic, salt and pepper.
6. Reduce heat, cover the pan and let the vegetables cook for about 10 minutes.

100_6627

Veggie goodness in a pot :)

7. When the vegetables are almost cooked, drain the cooked chick peas from the can and add to the vegetables.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning before turning the heat off.

Serve steaming hot with warm Couscous Paella or with plain cooked Couscous. Goes well with cooked rice too.

100_6630

Couscous Paella and Spiced Chick Peas & Veggies garnished with orange bell pepper fans

With so many vegetables in it, I am sure, 'sweet' Cate will accept this post as my entry to her ARF/5-a-day Tuesday.


Tags: , , , , ,

21 comments:

Neelu said...

yum yum...these days I feel I should eat readyamde rather than making all your recipes :) Why dont u send me a dabba ?

sudha said...

Looks colorful. Iam more attracted to couscous paella. Thanks for sharing a different variety.

Shammi said...

Isnt there such a thing as TOO healthy, Vaish? :) Sounds yum (all the same) ... hehe.

Krithika said...

That's super-healthy. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

with this kind of food, i am sure your family will soon turn pink with good health. Soon being 2 months to 2 years...
-anon,the original

Anonymous said...

Wow...superb pictures Vaishali. I think all your recipes are too healthy :).

Ashwini said...

Man..look at those veges! They'd put a market to shame!!!
I am very fond of couscous so I am going to follow your suggestion to pair the chickpeas with it

Vaishali said...

Neelu, dabba? I wish you were in Premnagar and I were in Sahakarnagar. Then I would have sent you 'dabba' every time I made something nice. :)

And, Sudha, as they say, the more colours, the richer it is with vitamins. Agree?

Shammi, 'all the same'? :) You mean, healthy yet tasty? Hmmmm...

Krithika, I hope it looks as delicious as the dishes on your blog. :)

Anon, now now now...making fun of me on my blog? I think, I should add comment moderation(!). :)

You like the pictures, Shilpa? Thanks. The setting in the first one took quite a while to fall in place, you know. I appreciate your appreciation. :)

They'd put a market to shame!!!
Thanks, Ashwini. *wide grin*

Mikaela said...

Those photographs are beautiful! The colors of the ingredients, the pretty presentation... My belly is growling :)

Nabeela said...

what you did with carrots in your presentation looks very nice

Menu Today said...

Hi Vaishali,
Very colourful and healthy dish. Thanx for sharing.

Vaishali said...

Thanks, Jam!

Nabeela, do you mean the fans in the last pic? They are made with orange bell peppers. Or do you really mean the carrots in the first pic? I haven't done anything to them really. :)

Thanks, MT. Colourful it sure is. :)

Saleem Pothiwala said...

ahan... a german dish with a desi touch... this surely does need a try :-)

Neelu said...

Vaish, I am making ur nanrayan katar for my SIL kids. I bought open dough from a store yesterday and did evrythign according to ur instructions and it dint work
So I got store packed maida today n made the flour. I was expecting maida to be strechy n chikat types, but it has rava type feeling while kneeding dough. I am using maida for first time so i am not sure If it is right. Does it become strechy after leaving it for some time ? I remember mo mmaking naan where the dough was strechy but it is not the case with this. I hope u undertand wht i m talking abt ! Help me

Vaishali said...

Daagh, in case you make it, please let me know whether you like it.

Neelu, no, the dough for Nan Khatai is not supposed to become stretchy. It is the right consistency, if it is crumbly and 'Rava'-like. If your dough is like that, then you are on the right path.

Anonymous said...

Vaishali i tried Nankhatai with your MIL's recipe. The dough(used all purpose flour) was looked perfect. After baking , the top part (just a thin layer) but the crust was nice and crunchy. Very very tasty. It took about 35 mins to bake in 180 degrees. Is it becoz there is a problem with my oven ??
It was very tasty,the whole batch ok cookies in just a day :)

Prema Sundar said...

Interesting and very healthy recipe. thanks for sharing it

Adi said...

Get the lates information of Electronics Gadgets Tech gadgets Cool Gadgets New Gadgets Best Gadgets Latest Gadgets Cool New Gadgets</a

Anonymous said...

In my post, I authoredBuy RS Gold that this Couscous preparation in by yourself wasn't tasty enough, Buy WOW Goldso I served the leftovers acquiring a spicy preparation.

hou said...

The setting in the first one took quite a while to fall in place, you know.
meizu mx5 review
meizu m2 review
meizu mx5 price

Urbanwale said...

After reading this blog, I would like to demand more articles again and again. I am feeling myself as satisfy by got to know these all such information which never came to my knowledge. Please writer more.Buy Vegetables Online Jamshedpur