Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fresh Strawberry Jam

Fresh strawberry jam served with some Roggenkrüstchen (rye bread rolls)

Jam is one of the few products that I don't really enjoy in India. Most of the marmelades/jams of the leading brands are far too sweet for comfort, have artificial colours and flavourings and taste rather synthetic. The preserves here in Europe are much more fruity and natural. But the best jam, I think, is the one made at home.

I make a fresh batch of this one with strawberries every few days. Also because it disappers much rapidly. :) It is based on a recipe by Tarla Dalal and is extremely easy to make. It is great as a change from the routine Muesli and milk breakfast that we have on weekdays. Moreover, I think it is versatile because apart from its primary use as a bread spread, I mix it with plain yoghurt (that makes delicious flavoured yoghurt) and also use it in smoothies, especially when I don't have fresh fruit for that. I think it will be great as a filling in Victoria Sandwich Cake too. I haven't tried it like that yet, though.

Anyway, here is the recipe for Fresh Strawberry Jam

Ingredients:

2 cups strawberries (approx. 500 g., considering that the cook will pop a few of them into the mouth while cutting them, like yours truly does :)
3 to 4 tbsp sugar (the quantity depends largely on the sweetness of the strawberries)
1 to 2 tsp lime juice

Clockwise from left: lime, strawberries, sugar cubes (these are only for aesthetic purposes; I used regular sugar in the preparation)

Method:

1. Chop the strawberries fine.

Chopped strawberries, two cups

2. Mix them with the sugar in a pan and cook. Stir the mixture often while mashing the strawberries with the back of the ladle. Please make sure that you cook it on low heat, otherwise the mixture can easily burn, like this. (And to think this is my 'n'th batch.)

Burnt Strawberry Jam :(

3. Take off heat once the mixture is thick. Cool.
4. Add some lime juice. Check the taste. Add some more, if required.
5. Fill in a sterilised bottle. Store in the refrigerator.

Enjoy this 'No preservatives, all natural, low-sugar' jam with some fresh bread rolls or on toast. A great way to kickstart your day!

This is my entry for ARF/5-a-day Tuesday #16.


Tags: , , ,

21 comments:

Ashwini said...

loved the aesthetic sugar cubes :-)
Mmm you know spring is here when you can make strawberry jam. I hate the Kissan types too and make mine at home.

Vineela said...

Hi,
Really nice.(Arrangement og sugar cubes)
Good recipe.
Vineela

Unknown said...

Hi Vaishali,
I don't think I have written to you before- but you have a beautiful blog running- came here from ARF tuesdays-
I've actually been looking for a good jam recipe since last week- and I only came across recipes that needed pectin and some such chemicals-which i wasnt in favour of using
I sure will try this one out- its sounds too simple to be true
And lovely photography there

Vaishali said...

Ashwini, Vineela, thanks.

Welcome to my blog, Nandita. Please let me know in case you try it out.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Hi Vaishali,

I am back form my break and yeah it was London. So, the postcard is on it's way to you.

I love making my own jam too. I really look forward to going into the strawberry fields here in Germany (as you probably know) and picking the strawberries. Soeri enjoyed this so much last year that we plan to do the same as soon as the Strawberry season hits us here.
Coming home and then making the jam. I really enjoyed your post and your pics are looking good too ;-)

Lakshmi said...

wow strawberry jam, my fav.

Luv2cook said...

WOW...This will be on my list to try :). I love making fruit jams...

Neat pictures too...

Vaishali said...

Hi Meeta, please please please take me along when you go strawberry picking.

Lakshmi, if strawberry jam is your fav, then you'll like this one too.

L2C, I came to know only today that you have posted a great recipe for Kiwi jam about a month back. I haffta try it out. Let me know once you try your hand at this one.

Arthi said...

This looks wonderful. I've never tried making jam/preserves before, I might try this.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Vaishali code vcc01
Deepa
wed Apr 19, 4:07 PM

Anonymous said...

Looks good and very easy to make , too.
Will give it a try...
btw,You are on my blog roll too.

Vaishali said...

Arthi, Vee, let me know in case you do try it out. It is just too simple a preparation to resist.

Deepa, thanks. Your vote needs to be registered at the My Dhaba VCC site.

Shammi said...

Vaishali, this looks so utterly gorgeous! I'm going to make some this weekend (assuming I can keep my hands off the strawberries long enough to make jam!) :)

Anonymous said...

yummy!! I don't like eating strawberries that much (i must be in the minority eh?), but love strawberry jam. will try this!

cheers!

Vaishali said...

Shammi, Saffron Hut, do let me know if you try it out. It is really great. I make a fresh bath and give it as a present whenever we are invited by friends at their place. And it is always appreciated.

GourmayMasala said...

Vaishali,
I love this simple recipe! Also, I like your use of sugar cubes for 'asthetic' purposes!

Vaishali said...

Sorry, I meant 'batch'.

reshma said...

tempting pic!and cool blog!

Vaishali said...

Thanks, Garam Masala.
Thank you, Reshma.

Anonymous said...

I'm defnitely trying out this recipe this week-end. My local grocery store is giving out strawberries at $4.79 for 4 pounds!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful find plus D3 Golda extremely concept! I will be truly flattered that you just enjoyed the actual sour. I have a few other related dishes in your mind which i just learn you may love. Just need Guild Wars 2 Goldto get a full digital camera