Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Pizza L'Amour

I hadn't planned to blog about this pizza, when I started making it last night. (That should explain the lack of quality in the pictures.) It was just going to be like any other pizza. Also, I was kinda in a hurry because it was already close to dinner time and my husband and I were both hungry. The dough for my pizza base has done a good 'second rising' and was wating to be rolled out.

And that's where is the 'twist in the story'. As I started rolling it out, my hands just started moving as though they a mind of their own. Before I realised what was happening, I had a heart-shaped pizza base. How did my hands do it? Or was it my innermost love that guided my hands? (I can almost hear my husband laughing out loud when he reads this.) Whatever it was, I had a heart shaped pizza base in front of me. And I loved it. I think, this is perhaps the best advantage of making your own pizza base. You can 'shape' it. Why not have a shaped pizza for a birthday party instead of a cake? Or maybe for a theme party? If shaping is too difficult, cutting it in the desired shape should be possible. Hmmm...I need to work more on this idea. In the meanwhile, you can have a look at my lovely pizza base.

Pizza base with a heart!

Now that I am anyway blogging about it, I will just go ahead and also give the recipe.

Recipe for Pizza Base (Large)

Ingredients:

2 cups plain flour (Actually, I mixed 1 cup plain flour and 1 cup chapati atta, hence the colour, but I won't recommend it.)

2 tsp fresh yeast, crumbled

1 tsp each of sugar, salt and olive oil

Method:

1. Mix all the ingredients apart from the olive oil and knead into a soft dough using lukewarm water.

2. Add olive oil and knead again.

3. Cover the dough with a wet cotton cloth and wait until it doubles in size. This depends only on the warmth in the air. In summer, it can be super fast whereas in winter, it can take ages.

4. Press the dough to remove all the air. You will actually hear the air going out with a 'phuss' here. Knead the dough again.

5. Allow it to prove again, but maybe not necessarily until doubled in size.

6. Roll out the dough into any shape of your choice. Alternatively, roll it out into a big round and then cut it into shapes of your choice.

Please make sure that you roll out the base either on a baking sheet/silicone sheet or on baking paper. Otherwise, lifting the rolled out base from any surface is very difficult.

For the Sauce and Topping

Method:

I used a readymade pizza sauce this time, but I do make my pizza sauce too. Will post about it in future. I am again in a hurry right now. Sorry!

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F?).

2. Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the base. Top it with any vegetables of your choice. I used vertically sliced baby corn (outlining the topping in the picture), halved black olives, sliced green peppers and baby onions.

3. Sprinkle any grated cheese of your choice generously. I used Gouda. You could use the same or Cheddar, Edam or in fact, any hard cheese.

4. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven on the middle rack for 15 to 17 minutes. The cheese should melt and the base should look well hardened and slightly brown.

Enjoy your homemade pizza with a few shots of Tabasco over it. In the meantime, I 'll send it to Sweetnicks for ARF/5-a-day Tuesday #17. And I was thinking that I won't have an entry for it this time.

Pizza L'Amour !

15 comments:

Cate said...

Love it!

Vaishali said...

Or do you wanna say, 'Love is it!', Cate?

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Wonderful! Why is it men just don't believe it when we say things like that eh? What would express the love more than a heart shaped pizza. Vaishli you have hear of the German saying "Liebe geht durch den Magen!" right? ;-)

Lakshmi said...

great.

Vaishali said...

Meeta, I think men find talking about love rather 'un-macho'. Or expressing it through heart-shaped things and stuff too girlish. But these are just my guesses. I can't say I understand men (and women) completely.

Thanks, Lakshmi.

Anonymous said...

I hope you did get something in return from that special someone for this beautiful love creation. :)

Baby corn topping, that I've never tried before, certainly going to remember that.

Shilpa said...

Hi Vaishali,
I too make pizza base with wheat flour. I use the active dry yeast for it. last time when I tried it, the dough did not change the volume. I really got irritated. So I added a 1/2 spn baking powder to it :(. Isn't it a weird way of making pizza base? (But even after that the pizza came out well.hahaha)

Ashwini said...

That could melt anyone's heart! But shouldnt it be pizza der liebe in your part of the world? :-)

Vaishali said...

Indira, thanks for giving me the idea. I didn't really get anything, but I'll make sure I do. :)

Santhi, just try out baby corn on pizza. It's succulent when baked. Bottle baby corn is fine too.

Pizza base with baking powder, Shilpa? Well, if it's gonna give good results, I am game. I'll try it out next time and let you know.

Ashwini, yeah, it should be Pizza der Liebe. But where did you learn that?

Priya said...

Your site is awesome. It looks like Valentine Pizza.
I am gonna tag yours.

I do cook, but not so talented like you guys here:-)

GourmayMasala said...

wonderful creation!

Sometimes, my pizza bases become un-intentionally heartshaped, but next time instead of sighing exasperately, I will top it as lovingly as you have. Baby corn outline is a great touch.

Vaishali said...

Thanks for tagging me, Priya. It could be that you are talented without realising it. What say?

GM, don't embarrass me. You are too kind.

wow gold said...

Thanks for giving me the idea. I didn't really get anything, but I'll make sure I do.

Anonymous said...

Made this formula Cheap Diablo 3 Itemsthe other day and also omitted the grape and curry foliage but included mint leaves- great results, straightforward GW2 Goldrecipe packed with refreshing styles!

itemrock said...

http://www.storewowgold.com/
http://www.tcgvip.com/
http://www.buywowgearforsale.com/